fredag 29. oktober 2010

New York City - my diary part 2

Day 2
Today I traveled out my door at 8 o’clock, and went straight for shopping in the streets in Soho before a lunch meeting with aunt Sarah. 


Soho is a well-known part of New York City, located in the south of Manhattan. To get to Soho from my hotel, witch lies close to Central Park, you have to take New York’s famous subway underground.


It’s not easy being by myself when it comes to finding out witch place to “jump on”. People dressed in black suits, with Star Bucks Coffee in their hands are rushing by constantly. A poor, but lively man, are sitting in a corner playing on a guitar for money. I gave him some coints and smiled. Luckily I met another man who was really helpful; I assume he saw how lost I was!

Soho has a lot to offer; especially when it comes to shopping. I went into a cosmetics store when I arrived, and all of the staff was really helpful and friendly. They asked me if I wanted to try different kinds of perfume, or if I wanted some make-up samples. I really like New Yorkers, they all seem so friendly! But then again, friendly people seem to always have their sneaky intentions. For instance when I had lost my direction on the underground station, the really nice guy who came to my rescue, suddenly demanded money!


It’s October, and the weather is kind of comfortable actually! I’m used to being in Norway on this time of the year, where we dress ourselves up with big coats and scarves. In New York City you may still wear only a sweater if you want to. You see, it can still be up to 20 degrees heir!

Lunch with aunt Sarah was enjoyable, and we really got to “catch up”. After that she had to run off for an interview – she’s a busy women you know!


 I spent the rest of the day sightsing, and when I finally understood the system of “how to use the subway” everything got a lot easier! I was curios to learn more about the history of New York City, so I decided to visit the Merchant's House Museum, who is the city’s oldest family home; "preserved intact it offers a rare and intimate glimpse of domestic life as it existed three decades before to the Civil War". Walking into the Merchant’s House, you are essentially walking into the home of the Tredwells, circa 1832. The house is filled with all of the families original belongings. Fascinating I have to say!



I also had the time for a fancy dinner at a restaurant. This before I hurried home and put on my finest clothes. Me and my aunt were heading off and into the street famous for it’s large assortment when it comes to musicals. Broadway.


Chicago was the name of the play we were going to be watching. I had seen the movie "Chicago" some years ago, and was exited to find out how they had interpreted it in real life.


The musical was fantastic! The songs, the people dancing and everything about it made me have goose bumps all over my back! The fact that the actors actually sing, dance and play at the same time was really impressive!

Now I have taken you, dear diary to a charming bench in Central Park. We picked up some food at a Deli close to the park, and are now sitting and enjoying the view of the sky scrapers surrounding us.


Talk to you tomorrow, diary! Good night!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar